Creating a Fire Emergency Plan
Image of a doorway after a kitchen fire.
Planning for a fire may not be something you want to think about, but for the safety of you and your family it is crucial to have a plan. If a fire does happen the pre-planning can make a huge difference in swiftly getting you and your family to safety.
Creating a Fire Evacuation Plan:
- Include everyone in planning: be sure to assign someone to help kids, pets, and elderly to safety if a fire occurs. If that assigned person is out of town assign a backup person.
- Check smoke alarms: Be sure that smoke alarms are working and are properly placed in key areas. NFPA suggest that a smoke detector is placed in all sleeping rooms, outside each sleeping room and on every level of the home.
- Keep Important Doctuments Safe: be sure to keep copies of identification cars and insurance cards in a fireproof safe, or have them uploaded to the cloud.
When creating a Fire Emergency Plan it is cruical to pre-plan what you will do to restore your property if there is damage. SERVPRO of Brunswick can help you in your planning efforts by outlining all of our services. No one plans for a disaster, but you can prepare!
If you need help in restoring your property after a fire, our SERVPRO of Brunswick team will arrive and get to work restoring your home to preloss condition.
Big Bad Wind
Windstorm damage? Rely on SERVPRO of Brunswick.
When the wind huffs and the wind puffs, don’t let wind damage ruin your production efficiency.
Imagine a windstorm blows through your town and you notice shingles or damage to your roof- with damage to roofing and or your windows allows outside environmental factors inside and can further damage your business. SERVPRO of Brunswick believes in keeping your business up and running if at all possible. We understand the headache damage can be- the stress of closing your business doors for a day may not be attainable. That’s why SERVPRO of Brunswick works with you to make sure efficiency and safety is top of mind during our restoration projects.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is prepared to get your business back to preloss conditions by offering a wide range of services after a storm blows through.
- Emergency Storm Response
- Roof Tarping
- Window/Door Board Up
- Water Removal
- Reconstruction Services
- Document Drying
- Much More
Our SERVPRO of Brunswick team prides themselves on being Faster to Anysize Disaster! When you need us, we will be there to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Upcoming Event: GIAR Host Shop with a Relator
Shop with a Realtor!
SERVPRO of Brunswick is looking forward to another great Golden Isles community event. On Saturday, August 17th SERVPRO of Brunswick will be participating as an affiliate with the Golden Isles Association of Realtors (GIAR) for ‘Shop with a Realtor’.
Shop with a Realtor is a community outreach program that gets supplies, clothing, and shoes to school-aged children to have a successful school year. The Golden Isles Association of Realtors and the Community Relations Committee gives each child $100.00 to shop with a Realtor! This money was raised by the GIAR and their affiliates. GIAR is celebrating 10 years of giving back with this event.
Interested in finding out more?
This event is a great way to give back to our community and to invest in future generations. SERVPRO of Brunswick is grateful to have this opportunity to give back!
When a Fire Strikes - SERVPRO Gets You Back to Business Faster
Getting you back to business faster after any size disaster.
SERVPRO of Brunswick was notified of a fire in Southeast Georgia and our crews arrived as the fire trucks were pulling out.
SERVPRO of Brunswick was able to contain the damaged areas by setting up temporary walls which prevented future damage and the spread of soot throughout the business. Temporary walls were also placed to ensure that the ofive space could resume with normal business hours. SERVPRO of Brunswick enabled the business to continue to work with without any disruption from the fire. SERVPRO of Brunswick worked from sunrise to sunset getting this property back to its original beauty by cleaning the HVAC unit, scrubbing the walls, pulling up effected flooring, and disposing of debris from the fire.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect; and treat your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today – 912-264-6094
Soot Cleanup DIY
Leave soot cleanup to the professionals. DIY Soot Cleanup is not only dangerous due to the harmful chemicals, but also can further damage your home.
DIY projects are taking the weekends by storm. Whether its a kitchen remodel to bathroom update, homeowners are turning to DIY projects to get things done around the house. The key to a successful DIY is to know when to call in the professionals.
If your home has been damaged from a fire - this is a DIY project that should be handed over to the professionals due to the risk of further damaging the property.
1. Different Types of Soot: Every fire is different, meaning that soot can vary in composition. Soot residue can vary from a powdery texture, while others will be liquid like and thick. Tackling soot without understanding what type your dealing with risk damaging your home further.
2. Soot Contains Toxic Chemicals: Fires require carbon dioxide, oxygen and intron, but often times there are chemicals released from materials in the home; like plastics, textiles and paints. Improper soot cleaning can cause these toxins to be reintroduced to the air and containment the home with toxins.
3. Soot Moves: Soot is on the go, moving through the air and does not stay contained to where the fire originated. Soot travels through HVAC systems which means it is spread throughout your home. Without knowledge of knowing how soot spreads, homeowners risk not resolving the entire damage.
If your home has been damaged by a fire, don’t risk further damages with DIY cleanup. SERVPRO of Brunswick has a highly trained team experienced in fire restoration. Give us a call today to schedule a free inspection. (912)264-6094
Tropical Storm? What is it? And should we be prepared?
Photo is from Tropical Storm Barry in July of 2019
Tropical Storm? What is it? And should we be prepared?
A Tropical Storm is an organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined surface circulation and maximum sustained winds of 39–73 MPH (34–63 knots). Tropical Storms are also referred to as Tropical Cyclones.
A Tropical Storm is different from a Hurricane because of the decreased wind speed. Tropical Storms can increase and become a Hurricane by having increased winds over a well defined surface area. Tropical Storms are still very dangerous and could cause extensive damage from wind and rain. Tropical Storms are known to have increased flooding risk.
Storms can be very unpredictable and that's why preparation is key. Keep your Hurricane Supply Kit prepared for not only hurricanes, but tropical storms and flooding as well.
SERVPRO of Brunswick stays alert and ready to assist you if your home or business suffers a storm related damage. We offer a wide range of services such as roof tarpings, window and door board ups, as well as water restoration. We are always HERE to HELP! Call us anytime at
3 Critical Ways to Prepare Your Business for a Hurricane or Flood
Catastrophic weather not only affects homeowners, but business owner as well. As we near the peak of hurricane season, businesses should have emergency preparedness plan in place to quickly mitigate losses should a storm occur. Here are 3 critical preparedness tips for your business to consider.
- Meet With Your Employees: Have a conversation with your employees to be sure everyone understands the policies and procedures after a hurricane or flooding occurs. It is important to identify what’s expected of each individual in terms of roles and responsibilities to continue production. Contact sheets for each employee should stay updated to keep clear lines of communication.
- Backup Data Ahead of Time:
The worst time to backup information is when it is too late. Begin the backup process before the storm hits and regularly test the backup system.
- Develop a response plan: If a hurricane or storm hits your business, the last thing you want to do is scramble around to get things back to normal. That’s why SERVPRO has created Emergency Ready Profiles free to business owners in our community. This helps activate the SERVPRO of Brunswick team to get to you quickly after a storm loss occurs. This is essential in mitigation by preventing further damages.
Preparation is key to a faster mitigation. Ask how you can get prepared with the Emergency Ready Profile today (912)264-6094
Tropical Storm Barry - Georgia Prepares
Tropical Storm Barry has formed in the Gulf of Mexico and is expected to make landfall late Friday to Saturday morning. As the storm strengthens forecasters are anticipating Tropical Storm Barry to become a Category 1 Hurricane when it reaches the Louisana Coast. Tropical Storm Barry is going to bring along 10-15 inches of rain.
Georgia is expected to get increased rain chances as well as higher humidity levels as the storm passes to the west of us.
Our thoughts are with the people of Louisiana and proudly back the SERVPRO Storm Teams preparing to restore properties after wind and flood damage.
If your Coastal Georgia home suffers a flood loss, reach out to SERVPRO of Brunswick to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Water Damage - Rain or Shine
Give the team at SERVPRO of Brunswick a call if you experience a water damage (912)264-6094
Did you know that water damage can happen rain or shine? Majority of people contribute home water damages to rain and weather conditions. However, a large majority of water damages happen rain or shine. The most common cause of water damage is due to the following:
- Plumbing Issues
- Bursting or Leaking Pipes
- Malfunctioning Household Appliances
- HVACs Issues
Some plumbing issues occur inside the walls and may go undetected for a period of time. While other plumbing issues occur due to a detachment of a hose. Keep plumbing issues at the top of your mind by periodically inspecting visible connections at your toilets and sinks.
Bursting or Leaking Pipes
Burst pipes are a very common source of water damage. Drains and toilets get backed up causing stress and pressure in the pipe which then leads to a crack or a burst of the pipe. Help prevent backups by only flushing or discarding biodegradable or septic safe supplies down drains.
Malfunctioning Household Appliances
Connections to household appliances as they age begin to rust and the pipes begin to weaken. If you are using older appliances in your home to replace the lines and connectors to prevent water damages. Washer machines, dishwashers, and hot water heaters are notorious for having leaks due to a malfunctioning connection.
HVACs (heating, ventilation and air conditioning units), can cause water damage if not properly maintained. Moisture can build up in the unit and can encourage mold growth inside the air ducts. Have your HVACs looked at regularly for maintenance issues and have your air ducts cleaned to prevent moisture build-ups.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is experienced in water restoration and mitigation. Dealing with your first water damage? Don’t sweat it, your friends at the SERVPRO of Brunswick will walk through every step with you and your insurance company. We believe in a stress free claims process to make your water damage “Like it never even happened.”
4th of July Safety
Have a terrific 4th of July! Celebrate safely!
FIREWORKS and SPARKLERS are a fun and thrilling way to celebrate the 4th of July. This year more people are ditching the stay at home firework show for the experts for a great reason.
More fires are reported on July 4 than any other day of the year, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Each year, fireworks cause on average 1,300 structure fires, 300 vehicle fires and nearly 17,000 other fires resulting in thousands of injuries.
Tips if you choose to buy fireworks, be sure to follow the following safety tips:
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol
- Never allow young children to handle fireworks
- Older children should use them only under close adult supervision
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear protective eyewear
- Never light them indoors
- Only use them away from people, houses and flammable material
- Only light one device at a time and maintain a safe distance after lighting
- Never ignite devices in a container
- Do not try to re-light or handle malfunctioning fireworks
- Soak unused fireworks in water for a few hours before discarding
- Keep a bucket of water nearby to fully extinguish fireworks that don't go off or in case of fire
Better yet, grab a blanket and a patch of lawn, kick back and let the experts handle the show!
SERVPRO of Brunswick wishes you a happy and safe July 4th! Let freedom ring and safety be top of mind!