Know When to Replace Cleaning Supplies in Your Home
Know the shelf life of your household cleaning supplies.
We all use a wide variety of cleaning supplies every day, and they need to be replaced!
Some types of supplies, such as sink and bath cleaning products, disappear quickly, while others, like oven cleaners and furniture oils, can last a relatively long time. Some cleaning solutions and products will show dates that they are “best used by”, but many do not. Developing a simple record keeping system for yourself, which notes when you purchased the item, can help you to decide when it might be time to buy new cleaning supplies. Replacing them in a timely manner will help to keep your home and/or business cleaner and smelling fresh!
The following products often don’t have a noted shelf life, and keeping these for too long can affect their efficiency:
- Sponges: This item is one of the most important supplies used in cleaning. They are employed for washing and scrubbing, both in kitchen and bath, as well as many other areas of the home or business. They are at the height of their efficiency until 15 to 20 days after purchase with regular daily use, and they should be replaced. After this time, they begin to deteriorate and fall apart. Keeping the sponge very clean can help it last longer; washing it with hot water and squeezing dry after use, and using anti-germ solutions can keep it contaminant free.
- Mops: These tools are extremely absorbent, and also need to be kept very clean between uses to prevent the growth of bacteria. Always allow it to dry completely before using again. Many mops have removable heads that can be machine-washed; this practice will help to prolong the life of the mop. Store your mop in a cool, dry space between uses.
- Dish Rags: These are usually made of cotton, microfiber, or other cloths, and are used primarily for dishes. A best practice for this cleaning tool is to use it only for dishes and not for other areas of your home. Paper towels are a great aid in soaking up spills, etc. and not your dishrag! These can, of course, be machine washed, but if they get to the point where they smell even when clean, it’s time to replace!
- Dusters: Clean your duster after every use and store in a dry area. When it begins to fall apart or deteriorate, it’s time to replace it.
When it comes to any type of solution, once the solution does not flow well from the container, or if it smells different than it did upon purchase, it is probably time to discard the item.
By keeping records of all these items, reminding you of their age, etc. will be a great help in keeping your cleaning supplies up to par!
The SERVPRO of Brunswick is always here to help you with your large cleanups. We’re experts in cleaning up fire and water damage, and also in mold remediation. Visit us on our website: SERVPRO of Brunswick or give us a call at: (912) 264-6094
The DOs and DON'Ts of before restoration professionals arrive.
What to do after the fire is extinguished?
After the flames are ceased and the first responders have cleared the scene; SERVPRO of Brunswick is on their way. We often get the question from the homeowner and/or property managers after a fire “How can I help, or what can I do until SERVPRO arrives?”
We have compiled a helpful “Do’s + Don’t List” for this question.
- Limit home traffic to prevent soot particles from being embedded in carpet and spread throughout home.
- Keep your hands clean. By having soot on your hands can further soil walls, upholstery and woodwork.
- When electricity is off- empty out freezer and refrigerator completely. Leave doors to appliance open to prevent future odor.
- Change HVAC filter; but leave system off until a trained professional can check system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to prevent particles of soot from getting in or out out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO of Brunswick.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor into fabric.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged. This can cause electrical shock and air movement might cause secondary damage.
- Don’t consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. As for the food may have been contaminated
These emergency tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Brunswick arrives. By following these DOs and DON’Ts you minimize further damages and increase the success of restoration.
Love is Not the Only Thing in the Air!
A clean environment is a healthy environment. Improve your living space for the ones you love this Valentine's Day.
Love is in the air this valentine season.. But so is that pesky, sneeze making yellow pollen! ACHHOOO.
For all of your allergy sufferers, make sure you are giving them the cleanest air possible by changing your air filters every 1-3 months. Air filters serve as a blocker to trap any debris trying to enter your duct work, but also filter the air that is being blown into the home.
By not changing your air filters regularly you are decreasing the indoor air quality in your home. The non-filtered air means dust, mold, and other particles are continuously being blown into your air.
Another downside to not changing your air filters regularly is, clogged filters. Clogged filters cause your HVAC system work over time and expel more energy than necessary. Thus costing you more money for lower quality air. Clogged filters can potentially reduce the homes entire comfort level due to the lack of airflow.
Along with keeping your air filters fresh be sure to protect your air ducts, carpets, and upholstery especially if you have allergy suffers in your home.
- By having your ducts cleaned yearly you are preventing clogs and freeing up excess debris from entering the home.
- Carpets and upholstery can often trap pollutants in the fibers of the fabric. To prevent allergy irritation schedule cleanings dependent on the traffic volume of the home.
Schedule a duct and carpet cleaning for your Valentine
Safety Tips for Space Heaters
Be warm and safe this winter.
As colder weather from winter storms intrude our coastal living we are quick to find a solution like- space heaters. Space heaters are a great source of heat aside from your central heating system. Whether it is at your desk or in your living room space heaters can truly make a difference during the colder days with that boosted heat source. However, with the delight of warmth there are safety concerns to keep in mind when you plug the space heater in.
- The three-feet rule: keep anything that can burn 3 or more feet away from the heater.
- Keep kids away from the heater to prevent burns and other injuries.
- Always turn OFF your space heaters when you live the room or go to bed.
- Lastly, check smoke alarms once a month.
December, January, and February are the leading months of heat related home fires according to the NFPA.
Fire damage is never delightful. However, if your home or business suffers a fire the SERVPRO of Brunswick is here to help! Our highly trained fire restoration professionals will assist you through the recovery process.
If you need us we are one call away 24/7
Why Have Your Carpets Cleaned by a Professional
Freshly cleaned carpets by our SERVPRO of Brunswick team.
Whether it’s in a home or a office SERVPRO of Brunswick carpet cleaning professionals are HERE to HELP. SERVPRO of Brunswick has compiled a list of reasons why you should have your carpets and rugs cleaned every 12-18 months by a industry leading professional.
- Stains and Odors: YIKES! Now that the holidays are past us we notice all of the blemishes that our out of town guest left behind. Don’t sweat the small things. SERVPRO of Brunswick can make those horrific stains like they NEVER EVEN HAPPENED
- Prolong the life of the carpet: Did you know having your carpets routinely cleaned will help protect your carpet investment as well as the wear and tear.
- Prevent buildup of dust and other allergens: Soiled carpets are a great place for bedbugs, fleas, and bacteria to make their home. By having your carpets steamed cleaned will eliminate buildup
- Enhances the overall appearance of the room. A clean and well kept carpets speak volumes to visitors.
Maintain that fresh + clean look and feel by scheduling a carpet cleaning with the SERVPRO of Brunswick.
Flooded Laundry Room in Brunswick
When water damage strikes, a fast response is critical.
The SERVPRO of Brunswick responded to a call after a washer machine line burst causing a water damage at hotel within the Golden Isles. The water line was quickly shut off minimizing damage and the hotel quickly activated there SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile (ERP).
By activating there ERP, SERVPRO of Brunswick was quickly dispatched and on site in less than an hour from initial notification of the loss.
The SERVPRO of Brunswick began extracting water and surveying the damage to the property and removing wet materials. SERVPRO of Brunswick communicated effectively with hotel staff on what was going on. The hotel suffered minimal damage and was able to continue all pre-scheduled task without interruption.
If your home or business suffers a water damage from a washer machine, respond like this hotel did by quickly turning off the water and activate your Emergency Ready Profile.
Need an Emergency Ready Profile? Contact our office today to set up a free consultation courtesy of SERVPRO of Brunswick.
SERVPRO of Brunswick Celebrates National Enforcement Appreciation Day
Goodies dropped off to local law enforcement agencies for National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day
National Law Enforcement Day was celebrated on January 9 of this year. SERVPRO of Brunswick continues to show our appreciation to all of these brave men and women that put their lives on the line to keep our communities safe. SERVPRO of Brunswick celebrated all Law Enforcement agencies in Glynn County by providing them with breakfast treats as well as cases of water.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is continuously invested in First Responders all year round. You will find us partnering with local agencies for preparedness fairs as well as dropping off sweet and hydrating treats for first responders as well as care packages for recently displaced fire victims.
Want to help celebrate First Responders?
- Keep them hydrated: Take cases of bottle water or athletic drinks to all of your local stations.
- Goodies are always welcome: Pack “Go Bags” of snacks like fruit, protein bars, nuts, and water into a baggy. These are great for all of our busy first responders.
- Coffee! Need we say more? Whether it is the night shift or day shift caffeine is always a hit with first responders working long hours.
- Words of gratitude: If it’s a thank you card or handshake.
Thank a first responder today!
Dryer Fire in Brunswick
Dryer fires are on of the leading causes of house fires in the United States. Have your dryer cleaned professional once a year.
The SERVPRO of Brunswick responded to a call after a dryer fire at a local hotel in early January. The hotel management responded quickly by closing the laundry room door containing the flames until emergency officials arrived. Everyone was able to escape the fire without injuries and emergency officials were able to put out the flames quickly.
Dryer fires are one of the leading causes of house fires in the United States. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) every year there is over 15,000 home fires caused by clothing dryers and the failure to clean dust, fiber, or lint from the vents.
Here are helpful tips for clothes dryer safety:
- Have your dryer installed by a professional.
- Do not use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Clean lint filter with each use.
- Have a service professional clean the dryer vent to blow out any trapped dust, fibers, and or lint that may be trapped in the line.
- Be sure the outdoor vent covering opens when dryer is in use.
The SERVPRO of Brunswick is proudly offering dryer vent cleanings throughout the year to ensure dryer safety.
Contact the SERVPRO of Brunswick to schedule your dryer vent cleaning (912)264-6094
SERVPRO of Brunswick helps with fire at historic church.
Just weeks before Christmas the brave men and women of the Valdosta Fire Department extinguished flames at a historic church in the heart of Downtown Valdosta. Thankfully the Valdosta Fire Department extinguished and contained the fire to cause minimal damage to the church. The SERVPRO of Brunswick was brought to the scene to rid the church of soot smells and to restore the property to pre-fire conditions. The SERVPRO of Brunswick was amazed at the structure of the church and the fire protection the church had in place, like fire walls and doors to keep the fire from spreading further.
SERVPRO of Brunswick was accompanied by surrounding franchises to help with soot cleanup, HVAC cleaning, and water extraction. SERVPRO of Brunswick is proud to be apart of the SERVPRO family that helped restore this property in a timely manner so this historic church could celebrate Christmas with their members.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is able to pull nationwide resources by being apart of the SERVPRO Franchise. Meaning there is never a job to big for the SERVPRO of Brunswick.
2nd Annual Coat Drive
SERVPRO of Brunswick is Here to Help!
SERVPRO of Brunswick hosted a coat drive for the second year in a row for Safe Harbor Children's Center in Brunswick, GA. We were blessed enough to gift 23 wish list items to the children and teen of Safe Harbor.
What is Safe Harbor Children’s Center?
For over 25 years, Safe Harbor Children’s Center has helped more than 4,000 children seeking shelter and refuge. Safe Harbor’s mission is to provide shelter and therapeutic services to children any age under 18 who have been abused, abandoned or neglected; who are homeless or have run away from home; or who are otherwise at risk or feel threatened.
Ways you can help Safe Harbor Children’s Center?
Volunteers help carry out the mission at Safe Harbor through mentoring programs and fun activities for the youth to do. To find out more about volunteering or to start the enrollment process go to https://www.safeharborcenterinc.org/volunteer/.
Donations are one of the most-important means of support for Safe Harbor. Without valuable contributions of goods and funds from generous people and organizations, Safe Harbor would not be able to help hundreds of children escape violence, abuse and neglect each year. To find out more about donating to Safe Harbor, visit https://www.safeharborcenterinc.org/make-a-donation/