3 Most Common Places for Water Damages
While flooding often can’t be predicted, educating yourself on the most common areas to flood with help you be prepared to handle such an event, and even to prevent it! Some areas of your home or business are going to be more apt to experience water damage than others, such as rooms that have sinks, as in kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry areas; low-lying areas like basements and cellars are also at risk.
Here is a list of the three most common areas to suffer from water damage:
BATHROOMS: The bathroom is possibly the most likely area to flood, and probably the most obvious. After all, a bathroom is all about water! Sinks, toilets, showers and tubs...all involve H20, and all contained in one small area and connected to pipes, pipes that can be a source of problems if they become clogged, leak, or wear out. Human error can create an issue as well; we’ve all heard stories about the bath that got started and was forgotten about!
BASEMENTS: Basements and cellars are the lowest part of a house or building, and so have a number of easy entry points for water. If there is heavy rainfall during inclement weather, or if the building is near a body of water such as a lake or river, they are going to be in danger. Oftentimes the pipes for the bath and kitchen areas run through the basement, and sump pumps and drains are often found there. In addition, many homes have their water heating unit and laundry facilities in their basement or cellar. Keep an eye open for cracks in the foundation, ceiling, and walls of these areas!
ATTICS AND ROOFS: A damaged roof, either from weather or fire, is susceptible to water damage and flooding the areas underneath. A small leak can turn into a big problem fast!
Our team of professionals here at SERVPRO of Brunswick is experienced in repairs and cleanup from damages caused by water, fire, and mold. Call us at (912) 264-6094
Tips to Avoid Water Damages this Spring
Spring is a great time of renewal after a chilly winter. It is a refreshing season the Golden Isles gets to enjoy briefly before the heat of Summer arrives! As the Sprint showers are beneficial to our May flowers and ridding us of pollen, spring showers can also be hazardous to our home causing water damages. SERVPRO of Brunswick has put together a list of helpful tips to ensure your home stays prepared for Spring!
Exterior of the Home:
- Clean gutters by removing leaves and branches.
- Precent water penetration by filling cracks in the foundation floor and walls.
- Inspect roof for missing shingles and age of roof.
If your property contains a sump pump make sure it is fully operational! Check all water sensors. Replace backup batteries as necessary and test your sump pump to ensure it is fully functional. Sump pump failures can occur in just minutes! Error on the side of caution always and inspect your sump pump yearly.
Good Friday Thunderstorms
NOAA Weather Predictions.
Thunderstorms are expected to roll in across Southeast Georgia on Friday morning. Prepare your family by stocking up on water and miscellaneous food items in case of a power outage.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is prepared to assist your home or business after wind, hail, or flood damage. Our teams are highly trained in drying out structures as well as boarding up homes and businesses.
When wind damage strikes boarding up and tarping your roof need to be your first plan of action to protect your property from further damages.
SERVPRO of Brunswick offers 24 hours 7 days a week service.
Preparing Your Business for Spring Storms
Spring comes along with rain and a lot of unpredictable weather. In a matter of 24 hours we can go through what seems to be 3 season in one day. Welcome to Georgia weather!
Prepare your business for Spring Showers and Storms by doing a thorough inspection of your property.
- Check for roof leaks and/or missing shinges.
- Clean gutters and other drainage systems around property.
- Ensure your windows and doors have proper weather stripping materials.
- Check your First-Aid Kit to make sure it is fully stocked.
SERVPRO of Brunswick is ready for whatever happens! If your business suffers a water damage due to Spring Showers we are here to help! Our SERVPRO of Brunswick team is available 24/7 to assist you with your water damage emergencies. With a 24/7 emergency services that means less down time for your business and faster dry out time. Another benefit of SERVPRO of Brunswick being available 24/7 is that it protects your property from further damage.
SERVPRO of Brunswick has the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial storm or water damage emergencies.
Give us a call today!
Historic Flooding in Omaha.
SERVPRO of Brunswick removing mud from within drywall after historic Omaha Flood in 2019
SERVPRO of Brunswick is a part of the Disaster Recovery Team that was dispatched out to Omaha, Nebraska after the snowmelt and flooding occurred in early March of 2019. This historic flood has broken the record of the last major flooding along the Missouri River back in 2011.
Our teams made the long trek from Brunswick, Georgia to Omaha, Nebraska to help business owners and homeowners recover and restore after flood damage. Unlike most of South Georgia, the Midwest had large basements that took majority of the impact from the flood. Basements were filled with 4-5 feet of water and thick mud throughout. Carpets were saturated and water drenched the walls to the point the baseboards were removing themselves.
SERVPRO of Brunswick began immediate water extraction and setting up drying equipment to preserve the home. Whichever materials where unable to dry were then removed from the home to ensure the property was not at risk of mold growth. When flooding like this occurs we look for any contaminated water that may be unsafe to be in your home (sump pump failure), and any trapped moisture that could cause mold growth. After a water damage or flooding event mold can spread throughout the home in 48 to 72 hours. As apart of the Disaster Response Team’ SERVPRO of Brunswick was able to respond quickly to each request for service!
If you experience flood damage in your coastal Georgia home contact SERVPRO of Brunswick!
To Restore or Replace
Timely response to a water damage is key to successful mitigation.
Residential Water Damage
As a homeowner, you dread the idea of any type of damage occurring. From limbs falling to toilets overflowing; some accidents are just unpreventable. Water intrusion can cause extensive damage to wood, drywall, flooring, upholstery, and furniture. You lose a sense of normalcy after a water damage occurs, surveying the damage of what you might write off as lost; but at the SERVPRO of Brunswick, we are highly trained water restoration specialist and value restoring versus replacing mentality.
Why is restoring so important to SERVPRO of Brunswick?
- Peace of Mind - We value your belongings. The SERVPRO of Brunswick takes the time to restore affected items preserving your financial investment as well as family heirlooms and keepsakes.
- Save Money: Restoring is more cost effective in the majority of cases due to replacement cost values. For example, it is cheaper to dry and save flooring than to remove and replace it.
- Return to Normal Quicker: The drying process will return your home to normalcy sooner than replacing materials and working with contractors.
- Restoring is Environmentally Friendly: by restoring flooring and other items that may be affected by fire or water damage you prevent future items from entering landfills.
Our number one goal is returning damaged areas and items to preloss condition, doing all we can to make it “Like it never even happened.” SERVPRO® of Brunswick is dedicated to restoring both the property and the lives of the customers being helped.
Do you need assistance with a water damage in your Brunswick, GA home?
Contact SERVPRO of Brunswick today!
How to Keep Your Storage Unit Clean and Odor Free
Take care of your belongings in storage units by keeping them clean and odor free.
Many of us have a storage unit of some kind. Whether that unit is at your home or whether it is a unit you rent from a storage facility, the items you keep there are obviously important to you. Keeping your storage unit clean and odor free is therefore also important so that your property can remain in good condition and odor-free while you store it for future use.
If you are keeping furniture in your unit, it’s important to keep items off of the ground and cover those items that are upholstered in cloth or leather to guard against leaks, dust, and mildew. Items made of wood should also be covered for these same reasons. Boxes should be sealed with packing tape, as well, and covering them with a tarp might not be a bad idea. Keeping your property dry in the event of a leak or flood will help to prevent moisture and mold growth.
Going in periodically and rotating your items to see how everything is faring is helpful. You can take time to sweep out any accumulations of dirty and cobwebs, and dust items as well. A shop-vac can make short work of this chore, and the walls of the unit itself can be cleaned to remove dust and spiders, should there be any. In a climate-controlled unit this is less likely, but for those spaces that are standard, more care must be exercised to keep your important items safe, mold free and clean.
If you see that any of your property might be suffering, you can take steps to get it covered for the future. Bubble wrap and plastic can be used to keep these items safe. Documents and pictures should be plasticized, as well.
Using Febreze or another deodorizer in your unit and on those items that absorb odors can be very helpful, so that upon removal those pieces will be usable right away, when it is time to put them into use again.
Check for water damage on a regular basis. The management at your storage facility should be aware of any leaks or problems from the outside, but they won’t know about your unit specifically unless you let them know. If there is standing water in your unit, let them know immediately and take steps to remove that water to avoid any more damages and possible mold growth. The company can make arrangements with you to move your property to another, safer, location.
A few minutes of your time and care on a regular basis can make a big difference when it’s time to bring your property out of storage and into the light of day.
Here at SERVPRO of Brunswick, we are experienced when it comes to water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, and all of your emergency service needs! If your business has received water damage of any kind, or any other such emergency, you can reach us at (912) 264-6094, or visit our website at http://www.SERVPROBrunswick.com/
4 Tips for Keeping Bugs Out of Your Home Come Spring
Don't find yourself with new unwelcome roommates when spring thaws the winter ice!
Every year after winter has come and gone, bugs come out of hibernation and are looking for places to feed and mate. They look for moist, dark places to call home, and your home is often the prime real estate. Whether it’s ants, cockroaches, or other creepy crawlies, there’s plenty that we can do to help keep them out of our homes! SERVPRO of Brunswick has put together some tips for you to help keep your home pest free.
Cleanliness is The Best Deterrent
Insects like to find dark, cluttered places to call home and multiply. Do your part and make sure that you are on top of your cleaning to make sure that the insects can’t take up residence in your home. Spring cleaning is a fantastic time to remove habitable conditions from your home from the insects, so make sure to stay on top of that!
Always Check the Screen Doors
Another item that often goes overlooked is the screen door/screens for windows. It’s important to check for cracks or openings before spring comes around to ensure that no bugs can make a break for your home. If you happen to find any holes in the screen doors, do your part and plan to repair them as soon as possible! The last thing you want is an unintentional bug infestation because one tiny hole was overlooked.
One big offense that people oftentimes find themselves doing is leaving food out in the open. If you or your family have a bad habit of leaving food out on the counter overnight, or leaving food open in the pantry, don’t! This is a prime resource for bugs to get inside of your home. The moment that one insect finds some leftovers out in the open or the pantry, it’s game over. Soon they’ll be all over it! Make sure to discard or refrigerate any food that is being left out.
Removing Unnecessary Water
Finally, one of the least known components of a bug problem is water. If there is any kind of leak anywhere, or somewhere that has a dark and damp surface, bugs are attracted to it. Do your best to ensure that any leaks are fixed immediately and that standing water is not left out in the open for too long. Cleaning these areas immediately will persuade the insects to seek refuge elsewhere. This is prime breeding grounds for these bugs, don’t let them have a chance to get comfortable and settle!
If you find a leak or water damage in your Spring cleaning. Call SERVPRO of Brunswick to make it "Like it never even happened."
Know When to Replace Cleaning Supplies in Your Home
Know the shelf life of your household cleaning supplies.
We all use a wide variety of cleaning supplies every day, and they need to be replaced!
Some types of supplies, such as sink and bath cleaning products, disappear quickly, while others, like oven cleaners and furniture oils, can last a relatively long time. Some cleaning solutions and products will show dates that they are “best used by”, but many do not. Developing a simple record keeping system for yourself, which notes when you purchased the item, can help you to decide when it might be time to buy new cleaning supplies. Replacing them in a timely manner will help to keep your home and/or business cleaner and smelling fresh!
The following products often don’t have a noted shelf life, and keeping these for too long can affect their efficiency:
- Sponges: This item is one of the most important supplies used in cleaning. They are employed for washing and scrubbing, both in kitchen and bath, as well as many other areas of the home or business. They are at the height of their efficiency until 15 to 20 days after purchase with regular daily use, and they should be replaced. After this time, they begin to deteriorate and fall apart. Keeping the sponge very clean can help it last longer; washing it with hot water and squeezing dry after use, and using anti-germ solutions can keep it contaminant free.
- Mops: These tools are extremely absorbent, and also need to be kept very clean between uses to prevent the growth of bacteria. Always allow it to dry completely before using again. Many mops have removable heads that can be machine-washed; this practice will help to prolong the life of the mop. Store your mop in a cool, dry space between uses.
- Dish Rags: These are usually made of cotton, microfiber, or other cloths, and are used primarily for dishes. A best practice for this cleaning tool is to use it only for dishes and not for other areas of your home. Paper towels are a great aid in soaking up spills, etc. and not your dishrag! These can, of course, be machine washed, but if they get to the point where they smell even when clean, it’s time to replace!
- Dusters: Clean your duster after every use and store in a dry area. When it begins to fall apart or deteriorate, it’s time to replace it.
When it comes to any type of solution, once the solution does not flow well from the container, or if it smells different than it did upon purchase, it is probably time to discard the item.
By keeping records of all these items, reminding you of their age, etc. will be a great help in keeping your cleaning supplies up to par!
The SERVPRO of Brunswick is always here to help you with your large cleanups. We’re experts in cleaning up fire and water damage, and also in mold remediation. Visit us on our website: SERVPRO of Brunswick or give us a call at: (912) 264-6094
The DOs and DON'Ts of before restoration professionals arrive.
What to do after the fire is extinguished?
After the flames are ceased and the first responders have cleared the scene; SERVPRO of Brunswick is on their way. We often get the question from the homeowner and/or property managers after a fire “How can I help, or what can I do until SERVPRO arrives?”
We have compiled a helpful “Do’s + Don’t List” for this question.
- Limit home traffic to prevent soot particles from being embedded in carpet and spread throughout home.
- Keep your hands clean. By having soot on your hands can further soil walls, upholstery and woodwork.
- When electricity is off- empty out freezer and refrigerator completely. Leave doors to appliance open to prevent future odor.
- Change HVAC filter; but leave system off until a trained professional can check system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to prevent particles of soot from getting in or out out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO of Brunswick.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor into fabric.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged. This can cause electrical shock and air movement might cause secondary damage.
- Don’t consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. As for the food may have been contaminated
These emergency tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Brunswick arrives. By following these DOs and DON’Ts you minimize further damages and increase the success of restoration.