Keeping Your Break Room Clean
Anyone who has shared a break room at work knows that it can be a challenge to keep this community area clean. People often have very different ideas of what cleanliness looks like, and this can create a lot of tension in the workplace, leading to problems with morale and relationships. These types of conflicts will eventually affect your business, and that’s not something any business owner wants to experience.
Either you or a designated representative can establish break room expectations. Here are some tips that can help:
- Post a cleaning schedule on the break room wall in clear view of everyone who will be using it so that expectations are clear.
- Ask for volunteers who would like to oversee a particular area, and schedule their duties on a rotating basis.
- Daily - clean food prep areas, sweep or vacuum flooring, trash removal, wipe down door knobs, wipe down chairs and tables
- Weekly - clean microwave and other cooking appliances, front of the refrigerator, glass, dishwasher, mop flooring, launder linens used during the week
- Weekly or bi-monthly - remove old food and containers from the refrigerator and make it known that anything left behind will be discarded.
- Monthly - inspect the entire area for problems, such as food underneath or behind the stove, which will attract vermin. Check under the sink area for out-of-date cleaning products or leaks; left to itself, moisture can be attractive to mold spores.
- Consider allowing the volunteers to leave work early on Fridays or come in late as a compensation for their willingness to handle this part of the workplace.
- Install air fresheners or products in your break areas to reduce odors.
- Ensure that cleaning supplies are readily available at all times and that sponges and/or cleaning rags are clean and fresh. If they are not, people will avoid using them.
- Make it clear that if cleanliness standards are not followed, use of the break room will be restricted or abolished.
Contact us here at SERVPRO of Brunswick for all your cleaning projects, both large and small. We are experts at cleanup after water and fire damage, and are equipped to handle mold remediation. You can contact us through our website: SERVPRO of Brunswick or call us anytime at (912) 264-6094