The DOs and DON'Ts of before restoration professionals arrive.
After the flames are ceased and the first responders have cleared the scene; SERVPRO of Brunswick is on their way. We often get the question from the homeowner and/or property managers after a fire “How can I help, or what can I do until SERVPRO arrives?”
We have compiled a helpful “Do’s + Don’t List” for this question.
- Limit home traffic to prevent soot particles from being embedded in carpet and spread throughout home.
- Keep your hands clean. By having soot on your hands can further soil walls, upholstery and woodwork.
- When electricity is off- empty out freezer and refrigerator completely. Leave doors to appliance open to prevent future odor.
- Change HVAC filter; but leave system off until a trained professional can check system.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers to prevent particles of soot from getting in or out out of the HVAC system.
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO of Brunswick.
- Don't send garments to the dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor into fabric.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Wiring may be wet or damaged. This can cause electrical shock and air movement might cause secondary damage.
- Don’t consume any food or beverage that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. As for the food may have been contaminated
These emergency tips will assist you in taking proper action until SERVPRO of Brunswick arrives. By following these DOs and DON’Ts you minimize further damages and increase the success of restoration.