If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (912) 264-6094

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Space Heater Safety Tips

11/29/2017 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Space Heater Safety Tips Follow these tips for fire safety with space heaters

In the colder months of the year, homeowners look for ways to make chilly areas warm and comfortable. While space heaters can be useful to keep small areas warm, it’s very important to use them with caution. In a 2010 study, it was found that space heaters caused 32 percent of all home heating fires but were involved in 79 percent of all home-heating related fire deaths. Fortunately, using a space heater can be safe if you follow these simple recommendations.

First, make sure that you create a three-foot safety zone around the space heater. Do not place the heater on or near any carpets, throw rugs, papers, or clothing. The space heater must be placed on a flat surface and not elevated on any cabinets, shelves, or other furniture.

Place the space heater in an area where it will not be in the way and where no one will trip on it. It’s a great idea to shop for a space heater with an automatic shut-off so that the heater will shut off if it tips over. Make sure that kids and pets are kept away from the heater for their own safety; space heaters can be quite warm to the touch. Also, pets may chew on the cords, so keep an eye on them around the space heater.

It’s a good idea to inspect the heater before every use. Don’t use the heater if there is any damage.

Never leave a space heater unattended. It’s tempting to leave it on while you’re sleeping to keep your bedroom warm. It is too risky to let these appliances run overnight when no one is nearby to make sure there are no problems.

You should never use a power strip or extension cord with a space heater. This cords could overheat due to the higher electrical demands and cause fire damage. Finally, ensure that your home smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order and test them monthly.

If you do have fire damage to your home and need professional cleaning services, contact us at SERVPRO of Brunswick. We will work with you to make sure your home or business returns to normal as quickly as possible.

Other News

View Recent Posts